If you are a hairstylist wanting to open your own salon, or if you just need to upgrade the beauty tools you own, one of the main devices you will need is a good professional hair dryer. Choosing a professional hair dryer is not an easy task. As a hairstylist you will probably use this tool to style all types of hair and for this reason you should be careful to purchase a high-quality device, with multiple accessories and enough power.
On the other hand, a professional grade hair dryer is an excellent purchase for home use also, as a quality unit will better protect your hair and scalp. But with so many devices manufactured by the most various brands, choosing a good hair dryer can be quite confusing especially if you’re not an expert. To help you find the right beauty tool, we are going to show you which characteristics to look for in a professional hair dryer and how to use it properly. To make your choice easier, we will also list the most popular devices and will let you know which is the best professional hair dryer available on the market.
- 1 How to Choose a Professional Hair Dryer
- 2 How to Dry Your Hair Professionally
- 3 Best Five Professional Hair Dryers
- 3.1 RUSK CTC Lite Technology Professional Lightweight 1900 Watt Dryer
- 3.2 BaByliss PRO Nano Titanium Portofino Full-Size Dryer
- 3.3 Turbo Power Twin Turbo 3200 Hair Dryer
- 3.4 Prodryer Professional Ionic Tourmaline Ceramic 2100 Watt Hair Dryer
- 3.5 Berta Professional Hair Dryer 1875W Negative Ions Hair Blow Dryer Far Infrared
- 4 Conclusions and Final Pick
How to Choose a Professional Hair Dryer
If you are not an expert hairstylist, you might think that a quick comparison between the prices is enough when it comes to choosing a professional device. This is wrong, as on the market there are numerous models, and when it comes to choosing the best professional hair dryer, you should consider the following characteristics.
- Technology. The most popular technology used by famous hairstylists is the ionic technology, but there are available excellent models that use ceramic or tourmaline heating systems.
- Ionic technology is ideal for those with dry and frizzy hair, as this technology is able to decompose the water molecules drying the hair faster while preserving the interior moisture of the hair strands.
- Ceramic technology emits a medium heat that doesn’t bring any damage to the hair, drying it both in the interior and exterior.
- Tourmaline technology is basically a coating of the heating system which is rich in minerals and able to emit negative ions while drying, reducing the static electricity. Using this technology, the hair maintains its natural shine, being smoother and silkier. Considering that these technologies can be used together in the same device, a good professional hair dryer should feature all of them.
- Power. A powerful hair dryer will be able to dry the hair faster and better. This is an important characteristic especially if you have a busy salon, but also for home use as it will drastically reduce the overall styling time. To give you an idea about the power, a professional hair dryer should have at least 1300 watts.
- Airspeed/temperature settings. An important feature of all professional hair dryers is the existence of control buttons for the airspeed and temperature control. The hottest setting is not the best to dry the hair fast and efficiently, you should rather use warm air at a high speed. Air too hot will damage the hair, weakening it. Both commercial and professional hair dryers have these settings, but a professional hair dryer uses more advanced technologies that allow you to balance the various settings in the best way in order to maintain the health of the hair.
- Turbo boost. This feature will allow you to increase the maximum airspeed of the device without increasing the temperature of the air blown. This feature will allow you to reduce the drying time.
- Accessories. Another important characteristic for a professional grade hair dryer is the number of accessories included in the purchasing package. A professional device should have at least a concentrator nozzle and a diffuser, although some models also have brushes or combs that can be attached to the device. The concentrator nozzle is essential if you want to achieve a straight, silky look, while the diffuser is a must for curly hair. If you intend to purchase a professional hair dryer for home use, than you should be careful to choose a device with accessories adapted to your hair type. For salon use, choose a device with as many accessories as possible.
- Weight. An important characteristic for a professional hair dryer is the weight. You should choose a lightweight and ergonomic device, as it will be much easier to handle it throughout the day. If you wish to use your professional hair dryer at home only, it will still be much easier to style your hair using a lightweight device.
- Noise. A professional hair dryer should have a low level of noise. This might not seem an important characteristic, but if you own a salon, just think about the confusion that can be created by two or three noisy hair dryers turned on in the same time. Your customers will probably appreciate if you invest in low noise devices.
How to Dry Your Hair Professionally
There are many stress factors to which the hair is daily exposed, like the weather, thermic factors such as hair dryers or flat irons, mechanical factors such as brushes and combs, and chemical factors such as hair dyes or styling products. Due to these factors the hair must be washed frequently, but if this is done in the wrong it will damage your hair, making it frizzy and dull. To maintain the health of your hair, the first things to pay attention to are the objects used for caring and styling the hair.
First of all you should consider using high-quality combs and brushes that will better protect your hair while using them. Also pay attention to buy tools designed for your hair type.
There are also some rules you should follow when using the hair dryer, as a wrong technique or excessive heat can cause important damages. There are three basic rules to follow.
- Use a powerful hair dryer, the device should have at least 1600 watts.
- Eliminate the excess water with a cotton or microfiber towel before using the hair dryer.
- Start drying your hair using the hair dryer only, and use the comb or brush only when the hair is partially dried to reduce the damage.
In addition to these rules, remember to use the hair dryer on the fastest airspeed setting with warm or cold air to limit the damage as much as possible.
Let’s have a look now at the most popular five professional hair dryers available on the market.
Best Five Professional Hair Dryers
RUSK CTC Lite Technology Professional Lightweight 1900 Watt Dryer
A top choice professional hair dryer, the RUSK CTC Lite offers a perfect combination of technologies to make hair drying and styling fast and easy. This hair dryer is extremely lightweight and boasts an optimally balanced ceramic-titanium complex. The performance of this hair dryer is excellent, the 1900 watts giving enough power to achieve any hair style in a minimum time. This hair dryer comes with an included concentrator nozzle and a diffuser, both essential accessories for professional salons. Another important feature is the extra-long 9 feet power cord which will allow you to use the hair dryer even when the power outlet is in an inconvenient position.Check Price on Amazon
Things We Liked
- 7 heat and speed settings: thought to offer an ultimate control over temperature and airflow, this hair dryer has 7 possible heat and airspeed settings.
- Ergonomic design: to improve handling, the RUSK CTC Lite dryer has a unique ergonomic design. The control buttons are easily accessible so you can change the settings during drying as you please.
- Hanger ring: an important feature for easier storage inside the salon or at home, this hair dryer has a handy hanger ring.
- Lightweight and quiet: two important characteristics of this professional hair dryer is the low weight of the device and the low rumor of the engine.
Things We Didn't Like
- RUSK didn’t use ionic technology for this device. For a professional hair dryer, this might be an important lack.
BaByliss PRO Nano Titanium Portofino Full-Size Dryer
Designed to meet the needs of the most exigent hairstylist, the BaByliss Pro Nano Titanium Portofino Dryer is one of the best choices available on the market. The quality of this product is guaranteed by its Made in Italy brand, featuring a long-life powerful Italian AC motor. In addition to the powerful motor, this hair dryer uses ionic and nano titanium technologies to ensure a smooth and shiny drying of all hair types. To help you achieve the desired hairstyle, this professional hair dryer comes with four included accessories, namely three concentrator nozzles and one diffuser. The six heat/speed settings and the cold shot function will allow you to use the most suitable combination for your hair and scalp. The ergonomic design is only added value to this great beauty tool.Check Price on Amazon
Things We Liked
- Powerful AC motor: this hair dryer boasts a powerful 2000 watts Italian AC motor, ideal for the fast and efficient drying of any hair type.
- Ionic nano titanium technology: the technology used to heat the air will help you say goodbye to frizz and dull hair.
- Removable stainless steel filter: a great characteristic of the BaByliss PRO Nano Titanium Portofino hair dryer is the removable filter which will make cleaning a lot easier.
- 3 years limited warranty: the manufacturer offers a long three-year limited warranty for any defects or faults due to manufacturing or materials for all the devices purchased from authorized sellers.
Things We Didn't Like
- Relatively heavy:weighing 1.8 pounds, this is not one of the most lightweight professional hair dryers. However, the exceptional performance makes this issue a minor inconvenience.
Turbo Power Twin Turbo 3200 Hair Dryer
A powerful 1900 watts professional hair dryer, the Twin Turbo 3200 from Turbo Power is another top choice when it comes to professional beauty tools. This hair dryer uses ceramic ionic technology for the heating element and has six heat/speed settings and a cold shot button. The lightweight and compact design are ideal for prolonged salon use. Another important feature of the Turbo Power Twin Turbo 3200 Hair Dryer is the removable stainless steel filter which allows an efficient cleaning of the device.Check Price on Amazon
Things We Liked
- Two included accessories: this hair dryer comes with two concentrator nozzles, a wide nozzle designed for general use and an extra wide nozzle designed for faster drying.• Anti-overheating device: to ensure the safe use of this hair dryer, the manufacturer included an anti-overheating device that stops the dryer to overheat.
- Compact design: the Turbo Power Twin Turbo 3200 Hair Dryer has a compact, ergonomic design that makes it a perfect professional grade hair dryer suitable for home use. The device is also pretty lightweight and easy to handle.
- K-Lamination motor: this 1900 watts motor provides enough power to dry all hair types fast, without damaging it.
Things We Didn't Like
- Some users said that this hair dryer do not get hot enough. This is probably due to the anti-overheating device, but if you need really hot air to create a hairstyle, this device is not going to give it.
Prodryer Professional Ionic Tourmaline Ceramic 2100 Watt Hair Dryer
An excellent professional grade hair dryer, boasting a powerful 2100 watts motor and ionic ceramic tourmaline technology, this device from Prodryer will dry hair fast, without causing damage and leaving a beautiful silky hair. The price is highly competitive and the device features two speeds and three heat settings that allow you to use the most suitable combination for any hair type. Claiming to be certified by hairstylists, the manufacturer guarantees the performance of the device, stating that it will give you a silky, shiny and frizz-free hair. The ergonomic design ensures the handling ease, although it is not the most lightweight professional hair dryer available.Check Price on Amazon
Things We Liked
- Perfectly fit nozzles: this hair dryer comes with two included concentrator nozzles that fit perfectly and do not fall off during drying, a common issue in many hair dryers.
- Accessible controls: the heat and speed settings controls are placed on the handle, below the area from where the device is hold, being very accessible.
- Fast drying time: thanks to its powerful motor and advanced technology used, the Prodryer Professional Ionic Tourmaline Ceramic 2100 Watt hair dryer is able to dry the hair much faster compared with other popular devices.
- Flexible control mechanism: the control mechanism of this hair dryer allows you to switch between cool drying, hot drying, cool blast and slow drying based on your necessities.
Things We Didn't Like
- Quite noisy: despite being one of the most powerful hair dryers available on the market, the motor is quite noisy and can become annoying if used for a prolonged time.
Berta Professional Hair Dryer 1875W Negative Ions Hair Blow Dryer Far Infrared
A powerful and performant beauty tool ideal for professional use is this Negative Ions Far Infrared Heat hair dryer from Berta. The device features an 1875 watts motor and 6 speed/heat settings that ensures versatility and drying precision. The manufacturer claims that this hair dryer is able to emit 100 times more negative ions than any other hair dryer on the market, delivering silky and smooth hair in just a few minutes. Using the far infrared technology which penetrates into the hair’s cortex, this hair dryer ensures a healthy drying.Check Price on Amazon
Things We Liked
- Fast drying: the powerful 1875 watts motor produce sufficient energy to dry your hair in about five minutes.
- Infrared heat technology: this professional hair dryer from Berta uses the far infrared heat technology which protects the hair, drying it from the inside.
- Salon length power cord: the 8 feet salon length power cord will allow you to use this hair dryer even if the power outlet is in an inconvenient position.
- Double stall air inlets: these air inlets will prevent your hair entering the device, so you will need not worry how you dry your hair.
Things We Didn't Like
- One concentrator nozzle: this hair dryer comes with only one concentrator nozzle. This is not convenient if you intend to use the device at the salon or if you need a different attachment for your hair type.
Conclusions and Final Pick
When it comes to the best professional hair dryer available on the market, we believe the BaByliss PRO Nano Titanium Portofino Full-Size Dryer deserves to win. This is a versatile hair dryer, possess a powerful 2000 watts Italian AC motor and a long three-year warranty.
This hair dryer is suitable for all hair types, boasting ionic and nano titanium technology. Besides, the four accessories, namely one diffuser and three concentrator nozzles, make this hair dryer a perfect choice for any salon or for a versatile home use.
Other things we like about the BaByliss hair dryer are the salon length power cord and the detachable stainless steel filter. The manufacturer could bring some improvements to the weight of this device, making it lighter and easier to handle. But the overall performance and the great features BaByliss PRO Nano Titanium Portofino Full-Size Dryer has, makes it the best professional hair dryer available.
You Also Might Be Interested In: How To Find Out If He's Cheating On You (3 Effective Methods)