Last Updated on
The eyeshadow is a must-have makeup for every woman. It is essential not only to highlight the eye but also to correct its shape if necessary. Being such a popular cosmetic, many manufacturers produce eyeshadows in a variety of textures and types that allow women to create an ever-changing look, unleashing their imagination.
Among all the types of eyeshadows available on the market, an essential category that should be found in the beauty case of every woman is the matte eyeshadow, a versatile makeup that gives a stunning effect when used properly. When it comes to matte eyeshadows, the good part is that you don’t need many colors to create fabulous looks. A few neutral tones, together with a black shade should be enough. Many manufacturers produce eyeshadow palettes, which are basically cases containing two, three or more shades, with or without applicators and mirror. These palettes are convenient as you will be able to purchase all the matte eyeshadows you need in a single product. But before finding out which is the best matte eyeshadow palette, let’s learn more about the eyeshadow categories and how to use them.
Types of Matte Eyeshadows
- 1 Types of Matte Eyeshadows
- 2 When to Wear Matte Eyeshadow
- 3 How to Wear Matte Eyeshadow
- 4 How to Choose a Matte Eyeshadow Palette
- 5 Best Five Matte Eyeshadow Palettes
- 5.1 LORAC Pro Matte Eye Shadow Palette
- 5.2 Morphe Pro 35 Color Eyeshadow Makeup Palette
- 5.3 SHANY Makeup Artists Must Have Pro Eyeshadow Palette
- 5.4 Too Faced Natural Matte Palette
- 5.5 BH Cosmetics Modern Mattes 28 Color Eyeshadow Palette
- 6 Conclusions and Final Pick
On the market, there are available various types of matte eyeshadow. Below we explain each of them.
- Cream eyeshadow. This type has a soft texture and is very easy to apply. The best method is applying it with your fingers, as the warmth of your body will melt the eyeshadow making it easier to spread. The eyeshadow can also be applied with a brush, paying attention to apply small quantities of product at a time with circular movements. This type of eyeshadow is ideal especially for those with dry skin.
- Gel eyeshadow. This type has a creamy but firm texture, being very easy to apply. The formula dries in about one minute and the result will be intense even if using small amounts of product. It also lasts longer than the classic cream eyeshadow.
- Liquid eyeshadow. Comes in a packaging similar to that of a lip gloss, is easy to apply and dries very fast. Liquid eyeshadows are typically used to illuminate the makeup because creating a color gradient is rather complicated due to their liquid formula.
- Powder eyeshadow. This is the most common type and also the one mostly used for palettes. This eyeshadow should be applied with a special brush or sponge and will give an intense finish to the makeup. The only problem of this type is that it tends to fall and might be a little messier to apply, but working with small quantities should minimize this inconvenience. Despite this, powder eyeshadow is still the most popular, being suitable for all skin types.
When to Wear Matte Eyeshadow
As already said, the matte eyeshadow is very versatile, but in some occasions, it is appropriate to wear it while you will better avoid matte eyeshadow on other occasions.
You should use matte eyeshadow:
- During the day. For the daytime makeup, matte eyeshadow is an excellent choice as a shimmer or frost effect would be excessive. The daylight will highlight a discrete matte makeup, making the eyes look beautiful and natural.
- For mature skin. Mature women no longer have tense and elastic skin on the eyelids, and a glossy or shimmery makeup will almost certainly highlight the small wrinkles and the loss of firmness. A matte eyeshadow will enhance your look without highlighting age imperfections.
On the other hand, it would be better to avoid matte eyeshadow during summer, when a matte finish tends to be contrary to the sense of freshness inspired by the good weather and the tanned skin. In the evening also it is recommended to limit the use of matte eyeshadow, as it will not have a spectacular effect in artificial light. You can, however, combine matte eyeshadows with shimmer ones to create fabulous looks.
How to Wear Matte Eyeshadow
Matte eyeshadow is easy to wear, but using it wrong may give a dull effect to the eye. To avoid this, you should be careful how and especially where you apply it.
You should apply matte eyeshadow:
On the eye crease. To highlight this area of your eyelid, it needs to be underlined with opaque colors that increase the cavity and the intensity of the look. Matte eyeshadows are perfect for this purpose. On the contrary, shimmer eyeshadows will make your eye lose the depth.
On the lower lid: for the same reason as above, the matte eyeshadow is perfect to highlight your lower lid, adding intensity to your look.
Of course, depending on the circumstances and personal taste, you can use matte eyeshadow for the whole makeup or combine it with shimmer eyeshadows.
How to Choose a Matte Eyeshadow Palette
Knowing how to use matte eyeshadows to create splendid looks, it is now time to choose the right matte eyeshadow palette for your beauty case. On the market there are available thousands of options, from various brands, with colors ranging from a few basic colors to complete palettes with 100+ shades. The option will depend on your color tastes and budget, but there are a few things to consider before purchasing.
- Go for neutral colors. Neutral or smokey colors are the most recommended for matte eyeshadow palettes, as they will allow you to mix them creating fantastic looks. For this reason, you should choose a palette that contains a few shades of beige and brown, an intense black and maybe a gray. Alternatively, you can search a matte eyeshadow palette with colors that highlight your iris color, such as copper for blue eyes, a gray for brown eyes or purple for green eyes.
- Choose a suitable range of colors. Do not choose a palette only because it has one shade you like. If you’re not sure about using at least half of the colors in a palette, search one that is more suitable for your tastes.
- Play with the shades. If you choose a palette with more than four shades, mix them to create different looks, using a dark shade, a light one and a neutral tone to highlight your eyes. Remember that matte eyeshadow can also be used instead of an eyeliner. If the palette contains intense colors but you’re not so confident about wearing them, simply mix those with a neutral color such as a light beige to achieve a softer tone. A matte eyeshadow palette is really versatile, and the limit is only your imagination.
Keeping in mind all the tips and advice about matte eyeshadows and palettes, it is now time to find out which are the most popular palettes available on the market and which is the best matte eyeshadow palette you can add to your makeup collection.
Best Five Matte Eyeshadow Palettes
LORAC Pro Matte Eye Shadow Palette
The Pro Matte Eye Shadow Palette from LORAC is an excellent palette containing all the essential shadows to create both natural looks for the daytime and dramatic smokey eyes for the evening. The palette has 8 neutral shades, ranging from ivory to an intense black. The texture of the eyeshadows is velvety and smooth. The feeling is that of using a powdered creamy eyeshadow, while the colors blend easily and beautifully. The pigments used are really strong, for this reason, it would be advisable to apply the eyeshadow in thin layers in order to not overload the look. Because of its neutral shades and ease of use, this palette is suitable for both newbies and more experienced users. The compact size of the package is another plus of this fantastic palette.Check Price on Amazon
Things We Liked
- Long lasting: with this palette, you will be able to create a makeup that will last throughout the day as the resistant pigments offer a long lasting finish.
- Perform wet or dry: this eyeshadow can be used both dry, creating a natural look, or wet for a more intense makeup for the evening. In addition, it can be used as an eyeliner as well.
- Compact size: the LORAC Pro Matte is compact and ideal for those who travel a lot. It also fits well in a purse, so if you need any retouch during the day your palette will always be with you.
- Included mirror: this palette has a small mirror included in the case, a great feature if you want to make sure your look is fabulous while commuting.
Things We Didn't Like
- The powdered shadows stick to the packaging, getting it dirty quite quickly. It is almost impossible to clean it properly once the shadows attach to it, and although this is not a major inconvenience, some people can be really bothered by this issue.
Morphe Pro 35 Color Eyeshadow Makeup Palette
From the famous brushes brand Morphe comes this fabulous 35 Color Matte Eyeshadow Palette that provides a wide variety of shades that will make makeup easy for every woman. Unlike many similar products that offer such a wide range of colors, Morphe palette does not contain any shimmer or frost pans, being perfect for those who like to play with matte finishes.
The shades range from intense black to light beige and gray. This characteristic will allow you to create pretty much any look you want, from neutral daytime makeup to dramatic evening finishes. These shadows are made with quality ingredients and pigments, being easy to apply and blend. And if you’re not completely sure of the shades included in the palette, you also have the possibility of creating your own combination, as Morphe sells individual pans and empty cases at competitive prices.Check Price on Amazon
Things We Liked
- High-quality eyeshadows: these eyeshadows from Morphe are made with quality ingredients and pigments, being easy to apply and blend. The texture is buttery and soft, while the finish is completely matte.
- Excellent results: suitable for both day and night makeup, you can achieve the desired look by simply blending together the most appropriate shades. Apply a thin layer for a natural look or multiple layers for a more intense result.
- Can be used as eyeliner: for a dramatic effect, you can use any shade from the palette as an eyeliner by simply using a wet brush to apply the shadow.
- Competitive price: this palette has a very competitive price compared with similar products, while the quality of the shadows is excellent.
Things We Didn't Like
- Basic packaging: this palette comes in a cheap looking black case with no mirror. At a first glance, this palette might seem a low-quality choice.
SHANY Makeup Artists Must Have Pro Eyeshadow Palette
It is really difficult to find a complete palette with no shimmer or frost shades, and SHANY palette is one of these, offering 96 matte shades that will definitely suit any look you want to achieve. Designed by a team of American makeup artists, this is one of the most versatile palettes available on the market, with a really competitive price.
The eyeshadows are made with mineral oil and other quality ingredients. The pigments used will ensure an all-day-long finish and will not vanish until you decide to remove the makeup. In addition to these great features, SHANY eyeshadows are produced following a cruelty-free policy, which means they are not tested on animals.Check Price on Amazon
Things We Liked
- Versatile: thanks to the wide range of colors included in this palette, the SHANY Makeup Artists Must Have Pro allows you to create the makeup of your dreams, being perfect for everyday use.
- Anti-crack shadows: these matte shadows are produced with an anti-crack technology and are highly pigmented to ensure long lasting finishes.
- Suitable for professional use: being created by a team of makeup artists, this palette is suitable for professional use as well as for home use.
- Vivid colors: thanks to the quality of the pigments used, all shadows included in this palette have vivid colors, so you will need a small amount to create fabulous looks.
Things We Didn't Like
- Small pans: compared with similar palettes, the shadow pans included in the SHANY Makeup Artists Must Have Pro are rather small. However, this can be expected in a palette offering such a wide range of colors at an affordable price.
Too Faced Natural Matte Palette
A wonderful matte eyeshadow palette ideal for classy makeups comes from the established brand Too Faced. This palette presents an optimal balance between the cold and the warm colors and has six small shadow pans and three large ones. The colors in the large pans are dedicated to cover the entire eyelid, while the other six colors are designed to highlight the makeup and create the final look.
The quality is exceptional, and even if the palette misses a black shadow, you will still be able to intensify the look using the fabulous dark browns included. To help you blend the right colors for a flawless makeup, the Too Faced designed the rows of the palette to deliver a complete look for various occasions. This means that you will be able to simply follow the suggestions offered by the manufacturer to achieve a perfect result.Check Price on Amazon
Things We Liked
- Fabulous colors: the Natural Matte Palette boasts a wonderful selection of colors ideal for every woman who wants to create a natural look.
- Makeup guide included: inside the packaging is included a guide designed to help you achieve the most suitable look.
- Three proposed looks: Too Faced paired the colors in this palette for three different looks. The first row is dedicated to a “Day” makeup, the second row to a “Classic” makeup, and the third row to a “Fashion” makeup. Alternatively, you can blend the colors according to your wish to achieve a different result.
- Compact and nice packaging: the Natural Matte Palette comes in a beautiful metal box that inspires quality. The compact dimensions and the included mirror makes this palette ideal for those who travel frequently.
Things We Didn't Like
- Pricy: although the palette is fabulous, it has a quite high price compared with eyeshadow palettes of similar quality.
BH Cosmetics Modern Mattes 28 Color Eyeshadow Palette
A palette designed to create both natural and modern makeups, the Modern Mattes 28 Color Eyeshadow Palette from BH Cosmetics is probably the dream of every fashion-addicted woman. The colors range from the neutral shades such as beiges and browns to the more “electric” pinks, blues and greens. The intense black and the gray are other two important elements to create intense looks.
This palette has an optimal quality/price rapport and comes in a sleek and compact packaging, ideal if you need to carry it with you. Unfortunately, the packaging misses a mirror and some users complained about the lid not closing well, so the manufacturer could bring some improvements. However, this is a pretty versatile palette that deserves your attention.Check Price on Amazon
Things We Liked
- Highly pigmented shadows: the pigments BH Cosmetics used for these shadows are of great quality, providing intense colors.
- True colors: when applied, the color of the eyeshadow is the same as the one from the pan. This is really great, as few eyeshadows possess this characteristic.
- Blend well: all the matte shadows in this palette have a very smooth texture, being easy to apply and blending very well.
- Great quality: the shadows last throughout the day without the need to retouch the makeup, and for an even longer lasting you can use them with a primer.
Things We Didn't Like
- Some of the shadows are drier than the others and for this reason it will be more difficult to get the desired intensity when using them.
Conclusions and Final Pick
In our opinion, the best matte eyeshadow palette available on the market is Morphe Pro 35 Color Eyeshadow Makeup Palette. This palette provides all the necessary shades to create natural daily makeups as well as more sophisticated looks.
An added value to this great palette is the fact that you can simply transform any shadow in an eyeliner by simply using a wet brush to apply the shade. The quality ingredients and the accessible price are further characteristics that make this palette our number one choice. And the best part is that the pans can also be purchased individually, allowing you to create a personalized matte eyeshadow palette.
A hopeless romantic that struggled for many years to find her Mr “Right” and made all the mistakes you could think of while dating. Known for always choosing the wrong guys or messing up relationships, Sonya was finally able to change her approach and mindset when it came to dating which helped her eventually find the man of her dreams and become happily married. You can read more about me here…