The mascara is an essential component in the everyday makeup of most women and is particularly loved by those who need to enhance the dull look of a light face. However, this versatile element may bring many problems, especially for the women who wear contact lenses or for those having sensitive eyes. The mascara, in these conditions, can induce the irritation of the eyes, with all the negative consequences associated to it.
To meet the needs of women with sensitive eyes, many manufacturers start producing especially designed mascaras. This means you will not have to give up to this important makeup product, but just pay a little attention of the mascara you choose to purchase. When choosing a mascara for sensitive eyes, first of all make sure it has dermatologically tested agents able to keep the irritation away, that they are approved by ophthalmologists and developed especially for sensitive eyes.
These are the bases to start from, but choosing the best mascara for sensitive eyes require much more than this. So let’s see how to choose a great mascara while staying away from irritation and allergies.
Things to Know Before Buying a Mascara
- 1 Things to Know Before Buying a Mascara
- 2 How to Choose the Right Mascara for Sensitive Eyes
- 3 Best Five Mascaras for Sensitive Eyes
- 3.1 Endlessly Beautiful Natural Organic Mascara
- 3.2 Covergirl Natureluxe Mousse Mascara
- 3.3 Ere Perez Organic Almond Oil Mascara
- 3.4 Neutrogena Healthy Lengths Mascara
- 3.5 Simply 3D Fiber Lash Mascara Waterproof Voluminous Mascara
- 4 Conclusions and Final Pick
With a myriad of mascaras available on the market, produced by more or less famous brands, the choice can easily become overwhelming. So here are the things you should determine before deciding which mascara to buy.
- Budget/Quality. This is definitely one of the things to consider when buying a new product. Don’t get influenced too much by the super attractive packaging or advertising, because they will never reveal the true value of a product. Cheaper mascaras are not necessarily of low quality, and in many cases they can provide identical results as those produced by the famous brands.
- Desired effect. While the first modern mascara was a solid one and women needed to use a wet brush to apply it, mascaras nowadays perform a whole range of functions, from curling to volumizing to lengthening. With so many choices available, you should decide what effect you desire and choose a mascara accordingly. If you desire a natural effect, choose a mascara that doesn’t load the lashes too much. If you need more volume, choose a dense formula or a liquid formula for a curling effect.
- Suitable brush. Besides the formula, the brush is another important characteristic of a mascara. Few products still use the classic brush, and choosing from small, thin, silicone, curved, hourglass shaped, comb or ball brushes can be confusing. The best thing here is to try out several types and decide which brush is best for you.
- Durability and performance. It’s hard to find the perfect product when it comes to performance and durability, but if you don’t want to find yourself with “panda eyes” in the middle of the day, it is important to make sure the mascara you choose will hold onto your lashes. It is obvious that waterproof mascaras will last longer, but unless you live in very humid environments or have teary eyes, a good quality mascara will do just fine even if it’s not waterproof.
- Discover the best-sellers. If a mascara is bought by many women around the world regardless the release year, type of brush and advertising promises, there must be a reason. It’s true, it is always interesting testing new products, but if you’re searching for the perfect mascara, go for the best-sellers.
- Color. Often manufacturers produce the same line of mascara in various colors, including different shades of black. Intense or extra black are those who give a dramatic effect on the eyelashes, but depending on your skin tone, this might not be the most suitable option. If you have fair skin, a brown or a dark brown will be a more appropriate option. If you’re looking for special effects, some brands even produce mascaras in electric hues of blue and green, or mascaras that glow in the dark.
How to Choose the Right Mascara for Sensitive Eyes
Knowing the basics of choosing a mascara, it is now time to find out how to choose the right mascara for sensitive eyes. The main reason why mascaras cause irritation is because they mix with the natural moisture of your eyes. For this reason, determining if you have allergies to any of the ingredients in the formula is the first thing to do when choosing a new mascara.
If you have any particular allergies, choosing a hypoallergenic mascara is a must. The package of hypoallergenic mascaras is usually clearly marked. Pay attention to marketing traps, because “organic” or “bio” doesn’t mean these products are hypoallergenic.
If you have sensitive eyes but not a confirmed allergies, or if you use contact lenses, choosing a hypoallergenic mascara could be wise. This is because these mascaras have been usually tested by both dermatologists and ophthalmologists and generally don’t contain any potential irritant agents.
Even if organic or natural mascaras are not necessarily hypoallergenic, these products usually contain ingredients that are less likely to irritate your eyes. However, the best thing to do is to consult thoroughly the list of ingredients in order to be aware of what you are purchasing. If you have the possibility, test a few mascaras before deciding which one is the best for you.
Once you decided which mascara to use, if you notice any sign of irritation, stop using it immediately and switch to another product. A good mascara will not give you any symptoms and you will feel comfortable using it from the first time. Also remember that you should replace the mascara with a new one approximately every three months or more frequently if the mascara has organic ingredients or change smell and consistency.
Once you have chosen the best mascara for sensitive eyes, remember that all the other makeup products that come in contact with your eyes, such as eyeliners and eyeshadows, should be designed for sensitive eyes, including the makeup remover. There are many cosmetics designed for women with sensitive eyes, you just have to be careful when choosing them.
As we stated above, one of the things to consider before choosing a mascara is its popularity among the users. To help you find the best mascara for sensitive eyes, we will list below five of the most popular products, then let you know which is the best according to our experience.
Best Five Mascaras for Sensitive Eyes
Endlessly Beautiful Natural Organic Mascara
The Natural Organic Mascara produced by Endlessly Beautiful is an excellent product ideal for those with sensitive eyes or allergies. This mascara is hypoallergenic and it doesn’t contain any fragrances or artificial colors and preservatives. The high-quality formula made with 100% natural ingredients is designed to lengthen and add volume to your eyelashes, while the vitamin E, Chamomile and other carefully selected ingredients act as conditioners and stimulate lash growth. In addition, the mascara, although is not waterproof, lasts very well on the lashes and it doesn’t smear easily.Check Price on Amazon
Things We Liked
- Pleasant smell: unlike most of the mascaras available on the market, this vegan and gluten free formula has a pleasant vanilla scent.
- No harsh chemicals: this organic mascara does not contain any harsh chemicals such as parabens, propylene glycol, aluminum powder, and retinyl acetate.
- Long brush: thanks to the long brush, you will be able to apply the mascara on all the lashes with only one sweep, including the tiny lashes on the corners of the eye. For a more intense color, you can just apply a second or even third layer of mascara.
- Travel friendly: the mascara comes in a compact tube which can fit even a small purse. This is great if you need to retouch your makeup during the day.
Things We Didn't Like
- Although the manufacturer advertise this product as 100% natural, on the package it states that it might contain traces of titanium dioxide and iron oxides. So if you’re allergic to any of those substances, this product might not be the best choice for you.
Covergirl Natureluxe Mousse Mascara
The Natureluxe Mousse Mascara is Covergirl’s hypoallergenic natural version of mascara, although the ingredients are not all natural and it contains some of the harsh chemicals such as parabens. The formula, which is supposed to be a mousse, is more liquid than you might expect. However, it is easily applicable and covers the eyelashes very well. The purchase packaging is quite innovative, as the mascara comes in a capped bottle, with the wand out of the bottle. This is a great feature, as it will allow you to actually see the wand before purchasing the product and determine if it is what you looking for or not.Check Price on Amazon
Things We Liked
- Brush: the silicone brush presents many tiny bristles that will allow an accurate application of the mascara even on the shorter lashes.
- Good formula: the formula is wetter than expected. Nevertheless, it dries up pretty fast and it doesn’t smear.
- Easy removable: thanks to its light formula, this mascara can be removed easily with even with warm water.
- Long lasting: although not waterproof, the Natureluxe mascara lasts for several hours, and doesn’t smear even if you tend to rub your eyes.
Things We Didn't Like
- Because of its rather wet formula, this mascara tends to clump the lashes together. This is a major inconvenience, as it seems quite impossible to solve this issue even by using a lash comb after applying the mascara.
Ere Perez Organic Almond Oil Mascara
This is another great mascara from the range of green beauty cosmetics. Ideal for sensitive eyes, this mascara is produced exclusively with natural ingredients, including beeswax, almond oil and avocado oil. The formula is designed to lengthen and add volume to the lashes. It works pretty well, although it seems to weighs down the lashes. Unlike mascaras from other brands, the Ere Perez Organic Almond Oil Mascara line comes in only one color, which is a regular black.Check Price On Amazon
Things We Liked
- Water resistant: although this is not the waterproof version of Ere Perez’s mascaras, it is water resistant and will not give you panda eyes after several hours.
- Strengthen the lashes: the organic almond oil in this mascara strengthens the lashes and prevents them from falling.
- Cruelty free: similar with other green beauty products, the Ere Perez Organic Almond Oil Mascara is not tested on animals.
- Pretty intense color: compared with other similar products, this mascara gives a fairly intense color from the first layer.
Things We Didn't Like
- Because of its oily, water resistant ingredients, this mascara is very hard to remove with water based makeup removers or with warm water. You will probably need to use an oil based makeup remover for faster and better results.
Neutrogena Healthy Lengths Mascara
Designed to offer 100% more length, this sensitive mascara from Neutrogena delivers quite impressive results. The mascara comes in three different shades, ranging from a very dark brown to intense black. The wand is suitable to apply the mascara on all lashes, while the rubber-bristle material separates the lashes beautifully, delivering an impressive definition. Although the result is not really dramatic, adding a second layer of product will intensify the look. Pay attention though, because applying too much of this mascara will probably make your lashes stick together.Check Price on Amazon
Things We Liked
- Quality brush: although the brush might seem pretty basic, it separates the lashes beautifully, delivering a perfect result.
- Long lasting: this mascara lasts throughout the day without leaving unaesthetic flakes on the skin. It also doesn’t smear easily.
- Easy removable: the mascara can be easily removed with a good makeup remover.
- Adds visible length: although it doesn’t provide a 100% more length, it does add some visible length to the eyelashes.
Things We Didn't Like
- This mascara doesn’t really add any volume, so if you need to add both volume and length, this is probably not the best mascara for you.
Simply 3D Fiber Lash Mascara Waterproof Voluminous Mascara
A new generation mascara designed for sensitive eyes comes from the Simply Company, an Australian family business that claims that all their products are tested and used by the members of the family before being released on the market. This 3D Fiber Lash Mascara is an innovative waterproof product, designed to give you a false eyelash effect. The package contains two products that must be used together in order to achieve the desired effect. The first product is a gel designed to lengthen and add volume to your lashes. The second is a dry product that is used to fix the gel.Check Price on Amazon
Things We Liked
- Dramatic finish: with this mascara you will be able to build a true false eyelash effect, the product allowing you to gradually add more length and volume to your eyelashes.
- Waterproof: this mascara is waterproof and smudge proof, lasting for a really long time.
- Easy removal: although the mascara is waterproof, its light formula allow you to remove it easily at the end of the day with warm water or your regular makeup remover.
- Doesn’t clump: if applied in thin layers, the mascara will not clump and it will not make your lashes stick together.
Things We Didn't Like
- Although the finish and performances of this product are excellent, it will take longer to apply the mascara because you will have to apply both products and build up the desired effect gradually.
Conclusions and Final Pick
When it comes to choosing the best mascara for sensitive eyes, you will almost surely have to try the products yourself and see which one works best for you. However, our top choice is the Ere Perez Organic Almond Oil Mascara.
In our opinion this mascara has all the qualities of a great mascara for sensitive eyes. Its 100% natural ingredients are not only hypoallergenic, but also improve the strength of the eyelashes. In addition, this mascara is water resistant and lasts for a very long time without leaving any unwanted residues to your skin. We also like very much the fact that it is a cruelty free product.
The manufacturer could add up a few more shades to this mascara line, and it could improve the formula a little making it easier to remove, but the overall performances, the flawless finish and the high-quality ingredients make from Ere Perez Organic Almond Oil Mascara the best mascara for sensitive eyes available on the market.
A hopeless romantic that struggled for many years to find her Mr “Right” and made all the mistakes you could think of while dating. Known for always choosing the wrong guys or messing up relationships, Sonya was finally able to change her approach and mindset when it came to dating which helped her eventually find the man of her dreams and become happily married. You can read more about me here…