Last Updated on
If you are curly, you probably know already that taking proper care of your hair is not an easy task and finding the best hair dryer for curly hair can be difficult. Besides using appropriate cleaning products, an important element in your daily hair care is the drying. If this step is done in the wrong way, your beautiful curly hair is likely to weaken and become brittle and frizzy.
The best method for drying curly hair is leaving it to dry naturally at environmental temperature. However, this method requires a lot of time and it is unsuitable especially during winter due to low temperatures. For this reason, many curly-haired women use a hair dryer in their usual hair care ritual. Using such a device is great as it considerably reduces the overall drying time, but the excessive heat may damage the hair, above all if used frequently. So how can you dry curly hair properly? Read on to find out the best methods to dry your curly hair using a hair dryer and to discover which is the best hair dryer for curly hair available on the market.
How to Dry Curly Hair
- 1 How to Dry Curly Hair
- 2 Important Features of Good Hair Dryers
- 3 Best Five Hair Dryers for Curly Hair
- 3.1 Conair 1875 Watt Tourmaline Ceramic Hair Dryer
- 3.2 Revlon Perfect Heat Volumizing Turbo Styler RV473
- 3.3 Allure 2200W Professional Ionic Ceramic Hair Dryer
- 3.4 MHD Professional Salon Grade 1875w Low Noise Ionic Ceramic Ac Infrared Heat Hair Dryer
- 3.5 Revlon Laser Brilliance 1875W Infrared Heat Hair Dryer
- 4 Conclusions and Final Pick
For a proper drying, the first step to take is patting your hair with a microfiber or cotton towel without stressing it too much.
Done that, it is necessary to apply a small amount of a specially formulated foam or gel onto your hair. These foams or gels are specially designed to protect the hair during the drying process and prevent heat damages. After applying the product, model your curls with the fingers.
The next step is to dry your hair using a good hair dryer. The use of an air diffuser accessory is essential during this process, but pay attention to holding your hair tips at a fair distance from the diffuser to avoid burning them. There are two main methods of drying your hair with an air diffuser, upside down or traditionally.
The upside down method will add more volume to your hair, but the drying may take a lot of time. The other method will keep your curls more compact while the drying time is also reduced.
One thing to consider before drying your curls is whether you want to keep them or to straighten your hair during drying. In the last case, you will not need a diffuser but a concentrator nozzle and a powerful wattage to transform the curls into smooth and straight locks.
Following these steps, you will be able to dry your curly hair easily and safely, but deciding which hair dryer to choose from the thousands of models available on the market can be difficult. Below we list a few important features any good hair dryer should have.
Important Features of Good Hair Dryers
As stated above, the main feature you should look for when choosing a hair dryer for your curly locks is an air diffuser attachment. In addition to this essential accessory for the healthy drying of the curly hair, there are a few more features to consider before purchasing.
- Heating element. The technology used to heat the air is an essential characteristic of a hair dryer. Older models use a so-called metal resistance, but the heating quality is low as the air is generally unevenly heated. Modern hair dryers have ceramic or tourmaline resistance. These materials increase the quality of the heated air. The models with ceramic heating element dry the hair at an intensity ideal for keeping the natural shine and volume. The models with tourmaline provide an even heating of the air, having similar effects as ceramic models, but these hair dryers also have the capacity to generate a field of negative ions, reducing the static electricity and decreasing the drying time. Some models even combine ionic, ceramic and tourmaline technologies to ensure top performance.
- Power. This is another important aspect to consider before choosing the right device for your curly hair. High power means hotter air and faster hair drying, but thinking that high power is good based on this information alone is wrong. For thin, straight hair is recommended to use a low power hair dry which is less likely to damage your hair. For curly hair, however, you will need a power of at least 1500 Watt.
- Settings. A good hair dryer should have more than an On/Off button. You should buy a unit with multiple settings that allow you to adjust the heat level and airspeed. Some models have a cool air function also, which basically blows the environmental air without heating it. This function is important to set your hair style after drying.
- Size and weight. A good hair dryer doesn’t need to be big. A compact and ergonomic model is recommended, as you will be able to take it with you when traveling. The hair dryer should also be lightweight. This will allow you to better handle the dryer.
- Dual voltage. This might not be an important feature if you plan to only use the hair dryer at home, but if you travel overseas often and wish to take your hair dryer with you, this function will be very helpful because you will not have to buy a voltage converter.
Knowing all the key features of a good hair dryer you should decide which is the most suitable model for you. In order to help you with the decision, we describe below the best five hair dryers for curly hair available on the market.
Best Five Hair Dryers for Curly Hair
Conair 1875 Watt Tourmaline Ceramic Hair Dryer
A hair dryer designed for frizzy curly hair, the Conair 1875 Watt Tourmaline Ceramic Dryer features ionic tourmaline ceramic technology which helps in reducing the frizz with up to 75 percent. The tourmaline ceramic component of this great beauty tool distributes the heat evenly ensuring a gentle drying, while the ionic function reduces both the static electricity and the drying time. Other important features of the Conair 1875 are the three temperature settings, the cool shot button, and the two speeds. To help you deal with your curly hair efficiently, this dryer comes with an air diffuser, a concentrator, and a removable filter. This device is a good fit for budget-conscious consumers as well, being one of the least expensive hair dryers available on the market.Check Price on Amazon
Things We Liked
- Tourmaline Ceramic Technology: designed to dry your hair fast, the Conair 1875 boasts the most efficient drying technology which distributes the heat evenly, avoiding heat damage.
- Cool Shot Button: a function created to help define your hair style. When activated, the hair dryer will blow really cool air, fixing your curls in place.
- Powerful motor: this hair dryer from Conair features a powerful 1875 watts motor, ideal for drying curly hair.
- Detachable filter: a rare feature in most hair dryers, this Conair 1875 Watt Tourmaline Ceramic Hair Dryer has a detachable filter that can be easily cleaned.
Things We Didn't Like
- The diffuser, as well as other drying accessories, have the tendency to pop off while using the device. This can become frustrating for some users, especially if they are in a hurry.
Revlon Perfect Heat Volumizing Turbo Styler RV473
Manufactured by the established beauty, hygiene and health company Revlon, the Perfect Heat Volumizing Turbo Styler RV473 is a great option for a curly hair dryer. The unit comes with a diffuser and boasts three heat settings and two speeds. These features will let you adjust the airflow and air temperature to best suit your hair type. To help you keep the style, this hair dryer also has a cold shot feature. The Revlon RV473 hair dryer uses tourmaline ceramic and ionic technologies. As the name suggests, this hair dryer is designed to pump up the volume of your hair. The diffuser accessory is built with so-called “fingers”, basically, little teeth that, unlike the teeth of traditional diffusers, release the ions directly on the hair, reducing frizz and boosting up your volume.Check Price on Amazon
Things We Liked
- Turbo Airflow Button: if you’re not happy with the maximum speed of this hair dryer, the turbo function will enable you to further increase the airflow.
- Easy to operate controls: the switches of this hair dryer are placed on the handle in a way to be easy to operate by anyone, including elderly people who may be affected by various medical conditions such as arthritis.
- “Finger” diffuser: unlike the traditional diffusers, this accessory is specially designed to add more volume to curly hair, a great feature especially for those with rather thin hair.
- Triple Baked Ceramic Coating and Tourmaline Crystals: this technology will help maintain the health and natural shine of your hair, reducing frizz.
Things We Didn't Like
- The diffuser might be unsuitable for those with sensitive scalps because of its short teeth. In addition, the motor of this hair dryer often makes weird sounds when the dryer is not held in an upright position.
Allure 2200W Professional Ionic Ceramic Hair Dryer
A lightweight yet powerful hair dryer recommended for curly hair is the Allure 2200W Professional Ionic Ceramic Hair Dryer from Xtava. Using the ionic tourmaline ceramic technology, this hair dry can reduce with up to 80% the drying time, minimizing the hair damaging. The powerful 2200W motor is ideal for curly hair. Additional features are the three heat settings and two speeds that will allow you adjust the airflow and temperature according to your needs. The hair dryer comes with a concentrator nozzle included in the purchasing pack. This will help you straighten your curly hair and achieve a smooth look without effort. However, if you want to maintain your curly locks, an air diffuser must be purchased separately.Check Price on Amazon
Things We Liked
- Sleek and lightweight design: to improve handling ease and the control of the device during use, the Allure 2200W Professional Ionic Ceramic Dryer boasts a sleek design and lightweight frame.
- Suits all hair types: due to the multiple heating and speeding combinations available, this hair dryer is suitable for all hair types and particularly for curly hair thanks to the powerful motor.
- Ideal for straightening curly hair: thanks to its power and concentrator nozzle, if you wish to straighten your hair every now and then, this hair dryer will allow you to achieve great results with minimum effort.
- Fast drying: the latest ionic tourmaline ceramic technology decreases the drying time with up to 80%, maintaining the health and natural shine of your hair.
Things We Didn't Like
- The control switches can be accidentally hit while using the hair dryer. This will change the settings of the airflow and temperature, and although this is a minor issue, it can sometimes become frustrating.
MHD Professional Salon Grade 1875w Low Noise Ionic Ceramic Ac Infrared Heat Hair Dryer
Another professional hair dryer designed for curly hair is this MHD Professional Salon Grade 1875W Hair Dryer. The manufacturer used the latest low noise ionic ceramic technology in producing this device, as well as infrared heat technology to minimize drying time and maintain the health of your hair. Similar to the other models mentioned above, this hair dryer also features three heat settings and two speeds together with a cool air option. A big plus for this hair dryer is the infrared heat technology, which basically penetrates the hair cortex, drying it fast and evenly, keeping the health and beautiful look of your curls.Check Price on Amazon
Things We Liked
- Powerful motor: the 1875 watts AC motor with life-lasting technology significantly reduces the drying time and noise.
- Professional power cord length: this MHD hair dryer comes with a professional length power cord with hanging loop. This can be very handy when you don’t have a nearby electric plug.
- Infrared negative ions technology: this technology reduces the static electricity, dries the hair faster and maintain its health.
- High-quality included diffuser: the air diffuser accessory is designed to maintain the curls loose, soft and frizz-free.
Things We Didn't Like
- Many users experienced low heat setting failure while using this hair dryer. This means the air will come out hot regardless of the temperature setting used. Needless to say, this can be a major inconvenience especially for those with sensitive scalps.
Revlon Laser Brilliance 1875W Infrared Heat Hair Dryer
Another top pick from the famous manufacturer Revlon is the Laser Brilliance 1875W Infrared Heat Hair Dryer. Featuring infrared and ceramic ionic technology, this hair dryer will definitely provide a fast and healthy drying of your hair. The motor provides enough power to properly dry curly hair in the minimum possible time and the device also comes with an air diffuser. The main difference between this device and the others included in our top is that this hair dryer has only two heat settings instead of three. While this may not be an essential aspect for most people, it still limits the available heat/speed configurations. A big plus is the weight of this device. The Revlon Laser Brilliance 1875W Infrared Heat Hair Dryer weighs less than two pounds and can be handled without difficulty.Check Price on Amazon
Things We Liked
- Infrared Technology: the infrared light will penetrate the cortex of the hair providing an inside out drying. This is much healthier for the hair and also much faster.
- Unique Infrared Light Chambers: these unique chambers are placed near the styling area. The airflow passes through these chambers then penetrates into the hair, minimizing frizz and maintaining the natural moisture of the hair.
- Included diffuser and concentrator nozzle: to help with the hair styling, this hair dryer comes with a diffuser which will help you define the curls and with a concentrator which is really handy if you plan on straightening the hair.
- Dual voltage: this hair dryer can be used with both 110 and 240 volts. This is a great feature if you travel a lot and want to take the hair dryer with you.
Things We Didn't Like
- If used without any accessory, this hair dryer sucks in the hair. However, since curly hair should be dried using a diffuser, this is not a major inconvenience.
Conclusions and Final Pick
The final decision when it comes to picking the best hair dryer for curly hair will be a very personal one. All the devices listed above have great features that allow you to style curly hair at the best.
However, our favorite hair dryer for curly hair is the Revlon Perfect Heat Volumizing Turbo Styler RV473. This hair dryer is powerful, lightweight and boasts the latest ionic tourmaline ceramic technology that will help you keep your curls frizz-less and styled. The unique diffuser is a great instrument if you wish to add some volume and, if you have a sensitive scalp, you can just use this accessory with the low heat setting. The Revlon RV473 is definitely a top choice for keeping your hair healthy and shiny. Even if the manufacturer could bring some improvements, like adding infrared technology to this device, according to us this is the best hair dryer for curly hair available on the market.
A hopeless romantic that struggled for many years to find her Mr “Right” and made all the mistakes you could think of while dating. Known for always choosing the wrong guys or messing up relationships, Sonya was finally able to change her approach and mindset when it came to dating which helped her eventually find the man of her dreams and become happily married. You can read more about me here…