A flat iron is an essential hair styling tool mostly appreciated by women with naturally curly hair who like to straighten it every now and then. Among these women, a special category are black women as their natural hair has a special texture. In many cases, the natural black hair seems impossible to straighten and for this reason many manufacturers created dedicated flat irons. But from the myriad of flat irons available on the market, it’s not always easy to choose the right one.
Most women believe that when it comes to choosing the best flat iron for black hair a quick trip to the supermarket to purchase the first flat iron on the shelf may suffice. But they couldn’t be more wrong. There are many flat iron models, using ceramic, tourmaline, titanium, ionic or silver technology, and for this reason choosing the right hair straightener may be very confusing. And even if all flat irons do the same thing the results will vary depending on the characteristics of the device purchased. Let’s see then what features to look for before purchasing and which is the best flat iron for black hair available on the market.
How to Choose the Right Flat Iron for Black Hair
- 1 How to Choose the Right Flat Iron for Black Hair
- 2 Tips for Straightening the Black Hair
- 2.1 Remington S9500PP Pearl Pro Ceramic Flat Iron
- 2.2 Paul Mitchell Express Ion Smooth+ Protools 1.25 Flat Iron
- 2.3 ISA Professional Titanium Flat Iron Digital Hair Straightener
- 2.4 Xtava Pro-Satin Infrared Straightener
- 2.5 Olyvya Professional Hair Straightener Brazilian Keratin Treatment
- 3 Conclusions and Final Pick
As we highlighted earlier, not all flat irons are the same. They come in a variety of materials and have different plate sizes, each of them designed for a certain hair type. For women with natural black hair it is essential to individuate the right material and plate size, to avoid losing time and money. There are a few characteristics to check before deciding which flat iron to choose.
- Temperature control. You may think all flat irons come with a temperature control setting, but this is not true at all. Sometimes even the professional models lack this feature, but for your black hair it is crucial to choose a flat iron model that will allow you to change the temperature settings. To understand the importance of this feature, know that flat irons usually heat up to about 400 degrees Fahrenheit if they don’t have a temperature control setting. You should never need more than 350 degrees Fahrenheit to achieve sleek straight hair, and once it is straight you can use lower temperatures for quick adjustments of the hairstyle when needed.
- Material. Be careful to choose a flat iron that has 100% ceramic plates. These models will probably not be cheap, but for the health of your hair, this detail is very important. Remember that if the package says only “ceramic”, the plates may be made of metal and only coated with a layer of ceramic. Professional devices will more likely have thicker layers of ceramic compared with the cheap flat irons available in supermarkets, but these layers will consume eventually. If you cannot afford 100% ceramic plates at least choose a model with a thick layer of ceramic coating. Stay away from nano-ceramic. It may sound cool, but nano-ceramic means nothing else but a very thin layer of ceramic coating applied on the metal plate.
- Added tourmaline or titanium. The newest models of flat irons advertise the presence of tourmaline or titanium on their plates. Both materials are excellent heat conductors which ensure an even heat distribution on the hair, reduce the electrostatic effect and help in keeping the hair healthy. The hair straightened with plates containing tourmaline or titanium will be silkier, smoother and shinier.
- Small plates. The various models of flat irons have various plates size. For straightening your natural black hair you will need a flat iron with small and thin plates. This because natural curly hair must be straightened in small sections to achieve the best result.
Tips for Straightening the Black Hair
Once you individuated the most suitable flat iron, the next step is straightening your natural black hair. If done wrong, even the best flat iron will not deliver impressive results, so make sure you follow these tips to achieve a smooth and silky hairstyle.
- Do not use the flat iron on wet hair. Before starting to style it, wait until it is completely dry or you could burn it.
- To make the straightening process faster and easier, dry your hair using the cool air setting of your hair dryer.
- Before starting to iron your hair, use a heat protector product to reduce the risk of damage
- Even if the styling process may be longer, try using the flat iron on the lowest heat setting. This will reduce damage to your hair and the hairstyle will also last for more time.
- Do not flat iron more than 1-inch wide hair sections at once. The correct technique is to start from the roots to the ends. To reduce damage, never flat iron a section of hair more than twice.
Lastly, don’t forget that all flat irons will damage your hair. You can reduce this damage using a high-quality flat iron, the right technique and limiting the number of flat ironing sessions. If we cannot help you with the technique or control how many times you flat iron your hair, we can recommend you the best flat irons for black hair available on the market, to make your choice easier.
Remington S9500PP Pearl Pro Ceramic Flat Iron
From one of the most famous styling tools brands comes this excellent flat iron for black hair. The Remington S9500PP Pearl Pro Ceramic Flat Iron boasts all the features of a professional flat iron and, with a reasonable price, is one of the top choices of flat irons for home use. The manufacturer used some of the latest technologies in the industry when creating this device. Featuring 1-inch floating ceramic plates with pearl coating, this flat iron will help you achieve excellent results in straightening your black hair. You will notice right away how easy and fast you can transform your curly locks into silky and smooth hair. This flat iron uses ionic heat to eliminate the static electricity and to reduce frizz. So if you’re budget-conscious but looking for a top quality flat iron, you might consider this device.Check Price on Amazon
Things We Liked
- Professional high heat: this flat iron from Remington has adjustable temperature up to 450 degrees Fahrenheit. You can set the desired temperature from the digital controls and use the temperature lock feature to get an alert when the flat iron reaches it.
- 30-second heat: the S9500PP Pearl Pro Ceramic Flat Iron reaches the set temperature in less than half a minute.
- Automatic shut-off: this flat iron will automatically shut-off after 60 minutes.
- 1-inch floating plates: using the latest generation of floating ceramic plates that stay in constant contact with your hair, this flat iron will straighten your hair easily and fast. The pearl coating will maintain the natural shine and give your hair a salon finish.
Things We Didn't Like
- Small on/off button: the on/off button is rather small and can be difficult to operate sometimes.
Paul Mitchell Express Ion Smooth+ Protools 1.25 Flat Iron
The improved version of the 2013 Professionals Choice Awards winner, Paul Mitchell Express Ion Smooth, the Smooth+ is another great option for straightening black hair. This flat iron heats up to 410 degrees Fahrenheit and uses far infrared heat to reduce frizz and protect your hair. The beautiful design with LCD control panel inspires quality, and you will be able to easily set the desired temperature. The 1.25-inch plates are made in ceramic and silicone and use ion technology to reduce the static electricity and provide a smooth finish while reducing heat damage. This flat iron also features automatic shut-off after 60 minutes and dual voltage technology for worldwide use. The Paul Mitchell Express Ion Smooth+ is a great tool that will give you a salon experience at home.Check Price on Amazon
Things We Liked
- Express Ion Complex and silicone: Paul Mitchell’s Smooth+ flat iron uses an Express Ion Complex and silicone to infuse the ceramic plates. These technologies allow you to style your hair faster and reduce heat damage.
- Slim ceramic plates: the 1.25-inch ceramic plates allow you to properly straighten the roots of the hair without burning your scalp.
- Professional length power cord: to increase the ease of use, this flat iron has a 9-foot professional length swivel power cord.
- High heat temperature: the 410 degrees Fahrenheit may be very useful if you must style your hair fast. Pay attention, though, as this temperature should be used only occasionally and not more than once a year to reduce damage.
Things We Didn't Like
- Void warranty: if the device is purchased from an unauthorized retailer.
ISA Professional Titanium Flat Iron Digital Hair Straightener
Titanium Flat Iron Digital Hair Straightener is definitely one of the best flat irons for black hair available on the market. This flat iron from ISA Professional has all the characteristics of a good black hair straightener. The slim and long titanium ceramic plates are ideal for making curly hair smooth and silky with an incredible ease. The flat iron has an adjustable heat feature and you can choose the most adapted temperature from 265 to 450 degrees Fahrenheit. To have better control of the temperature, this flat iron is provided with a neon LCD display and digital controls. In addition, the device has an auto shut-off feature and comes in a beautiful box which is also suitable as a gift box.Check Price on Amazon
Things We Liked
- Mirror Titanium coating: these unique plates of 1.5-inch wide and 4.5-inch long will effectively straighten your natural black hair even if you decide to work with larger sections of hair at a time.
- 360 degrees tangle-free power cord: you can rotate the Titanium Flat Iron Digital Hair Straightener in any position you want without risking to cause any damage to the power cord.
- 100% ceramic plates: the mirror titanium plates are built in solid ceramic, improving the performance of the device.
- Quick temperature rise: this flat iron reaches the desired temperature very quickly and, due to the advanced technology used for the plates, it constantly recovers it so you will not have to take breaks during the styling process.
Things We Didn't Like
- Slow cool down: since the ceramic plates are completely heated during use, this flat iron has a slow cooldown time.
Xtava Pro-Satin Infrared Straightener
For salon-like styling of your black hair with a minimum budget, this flat iron with tourmaline ceramic plates from Xtava is an excellent choice. The Pro-Satin flat iron uses indirect infrared heat technology that will help you achieve perfect results with minimum damage. Other important features of the Xtava Pro-Satin Infrared Straightener are the bottom floating plate which will maintain the contact with your hair in any circumstances and the dual-plate technology of the upper plate which is designed to maintain an even heat. The plates are a little wide, but the quality of the materials and the straightening features make this flat iron ideal for black hair. Further features are the adjustable temperature that ranges from 265 to 445 degrees Fahrenheit and the auto shut-off function.Check Price on Amazon
Things We Liked
- 10 temperature settings: to help you style your beautiful black hair this flat iron boasts a heating system with 10 settings.
- Easy to hold and handle: the ergonomic design and lightweight frame make the Pro-Satin device easily maneuverable.
- Reduces frizz and heat damage: using high-quality materials and the newest technology, the plates are designed to reduce both frizz and heat damage, maintaining the health of your hair.
- Excellent price: this flat iron may be a perfect choice if you’re looking for top quality but have a low budget.
Things We Didn't Like
- Long heat up time: the plates need about 90 seconds to reach the selected temperature. Compared with the average heat up time of similar devices, this is quite long.
Olyvya Professional Hair Straightener Brazilian Keratin Treatment
Advertised by the manufacturer as the “most effective and less damaging” flat iron available on the market, this device combines the benefits of the keratin hair treatment with the latest technology to provide excellent results for the black hair. This flat iron uses an innovative Ultrasonic Nano Titanium technology to reduce frizz while providing silky and smooth hair. The device comes with a specially formulated Brazilian keratin treatment refill that will protect your hair during styling. This feature will allow you to skip using a heat protection product before straightening the hair, reducing the overall styling time. For natural black hair, this is an important aspect. And if you don’t like this flat iron, the 1-year warranty allows you to return the product and get your money back instantly.Check Price on Amazon
Things We Liked
- Two-in-one flat iron and hair treatment tool: using Ultrasonic Nano Titanium plates and a Brazilian keratin infusion, this flat iron will style and protect your hair at the same time. Needless to say, heat damages are reduced to a minimum.
- Useful accessories: the Olyvya Professional Hair Straightener Brazilian Keratin Treatment flat iron comes with a brush and a hair clip to make straightening easier.
- Steam flat iron: this flat iron uses steam to provide sleek and frizz-free results. The manufacturer recommends using it with distilled water and cleaning it with alcohol.
- Titanium coated plates: the titanium coating distributes the heat evenly, providing fast results and reducing heat damage.
Things We Didn't Like
- Two heat settings: this flat iron has only two temperature settings, which means you will not be able to set the desired temperature.
Conclusions and Final Pick
When choosing the right flat iron for black hair you should consider the budget, desired features and the technology used by the manufacturer. All five devices presented above are excellent choices for naturally curly hair. However, our top pick as the best flat iron for black hair is the ISA Professional Titanium Flat Iron Digital Hair Straightener.
With its titanium mirror technology and the full ceramic plates, the ISA Professional Titanium Flat Iron is able to straighten natural black hair with minimum effort, delivering smooth, silky and frizz-free results. The slim and long design is perfect to straighten the hair from the roots without the risk of causing burns to the scalp. Another important feature for the black haired women is the adjustable temperature that can go up to 450 Fahrenheit. In addition, with its heat recovery function, this flat iron from ISA will allow you to straighten your hair quickly as you will not have to wait for the plates to reheat during styling.
The plates cool down slowly, but this is expected from full ceramic plates anyway. To compensate this inconvenience, the auto shut-off function will keep you safe even if you forget the flat iron plugged in.
Despite the minor cool down inconvenient, this flat iron presents all the features expected from a straightener for black hair, representing an excellent purchase if you want to achieve professional results from the comfort of your home.
A hopeless romantic that struggled for many years to find her Mr “Right” and made all the mistakes you could think of while dating. Known for always choosing the wrong guys or messing up relationships, Sonya was finally able to change her approach and mindset when it came to dating which helped her eventually find the man of her dreams and become happily married. You can read more about me here…