A Review of the Best Foundation for Mature Skin
The foundation is an important cosmetic used to cover the small imperfections of the skin. This cosmetic is also often used to protect the skin from external agents such as the wind, cold temperatures or the sun. There are various types of foundations available on the market, and if you have mature skin it is very important to choose this cosmetic based on the particular necessities of your skin.
Because there are so many types of foundations, varying in consistency and properties, before deciding which is the best foundation for mature skin, you should first understand what type of foundation to search for and how to properly make up your face. Once you learned how to choose the right foundation for mature skin, you can then choose the most suitable product available on the market.So let’s see which are the types of foundation available on the market.
Types of Foundation
Basically, there are four types of foundation available. Each of these types was created for a certain type of skin, and not all of them are suitable for women with mature skin. However, as the mature skin has many similarities with the dry skin, many products designed for the dry skin are perfect for those with mature skin as well.
- Compact foundation. We can distinguish between two types of compact foundation: cream and powder. The compact cream is very moisturizing, opaque, adapted for dry and mature skin, and can be applied with a sponge or directly with your fingers. Given its creamy consistency, in addition to being moisturizing, it also guarantees a greater coverage than any other type of foundation. The formulation of this foundation type is generally based on lipids and therefore it is not particularly suitable for those with oily skin. The compact powder, on the other hand, gives a matte finish and contains a sort of micro-sponges that constantly absorb the sebum excess. This is ideal for those with oily skin but almost unsuitable for the mature skin.
- Liquid foundation. Probably the most versatile type of foundation available on the market, with a light texture and various grades of coverage ranging from low to good. There is a myriad of liquid foundations on the market, produced by almost all cosmetic brands. In this case, we can also distinguish between two types of products: Anti-aging moisturizing and Matte fluid. The first one is suitable for mature or dry skin. This foundation contains ingredients that strengthen the defenses of the skin and reduce the aging effects. The second type is composed of an oily part and a more compact part. The two parts must be mixed together before use and has sebum-regulator properties, being suitable for oily skin types.
- Mousse foundation. This type has a very light texture, can be applied easily with a sponge or with the fingers and is recommended especially for those with oily skin types.
- Mineral foundation. The latest entry in the foundation family, the mineral foundation is designed for normal, mixed or oily skin types. It contains natural substances such as zinc oxide and is composed of a fine powder. It can be applied with a special brush and gives a light coverage. Due to its formula, it can highlight the fine wrinkles and therefore is not one of the best foundation for mature skin.
As you can see, the best types of foundation for your mature skin are the cream compact and liquid anti-aging moisturizing. Taking into account this information, you can choose the most suitable product based on your skin tone, preference of use and budget. But first let’s see how to achieve a flawless makeup for mature skin.
How to Makeup Mature Skin: 5 Steps to Follow
The makeup for mature skin requires special attention and a series of rules must be followed in order to achieve a fantastic look. Mature skin tends to be less bright and start presenting aging signs such as wrinkles and skin spots. So here are the 5 steps to follow if you want a flawless look.
- Skincare. For a perfect makeup, you must first create the perfect base. Skin care plays a key role in the makeup process. For mature skin, be careful to choose the right skin care products that are able to diminish the wrinkles and increase the brightness of the skin. There are many anti-aging creams and serums available on the market, you only have to choose the one most suitable for your needs.
- Suitable makeup base. After applying the most suitable skin care product, you should apply a suitable makeup base, also called a primer. If you never used a primer before, you will notice right away the miraculous benefits it has, as it makes your skin smoother and brighter. The primer creates a sort of coating on the skin, allowing you to use less concealer and foundation.
- Suitable foundation and concealer. Because mature skin tends to be drier than young skin you must carefully choose your foundation and concealer. Both products should have nourishing and hydrating properties. The concealer must be used only to hide the dark circles around the eyes, while the foundation for the face and neck. Choose carefully the nuances of these products as well, paying attention to your skin tone.
- Eye makeup. The eye makeup should be light and well-defined. You should define the eyebrows with a pencil, giving them a natural form. Avoid metallic and shimmer eyeshadows. The best options are the matte eyeshadows in natural tones and dark brown mascara.
- Lip makeup. Because the lips tend to lose thickness with age, try to avoid matte or dark shades of the lipstick. Choose a creamy lipstick or a lip gloss in natural shades.
Keeping in mind these five steps you should be able to achieve perfect results that will highlight the beauty of your mature skin, hiding small imperfections. Because the foundation is the most difficult to choose, let’s see which are the most popular five foundations for mature skin available on the market.
Best Five Foundations for Mature Skin
1. Iman Cosmetics Luxury Radiance Liquid Makeup
Iman is one of the few brands that produce cosmetics suitable for women with darker skin tones, the manufacturer producing cosmetics designed for multiracial color women. The Luxury Radiance Liquid Makeup is one of the best-rated foundations for women with mature skin. The manufacturer claims that this is a liquid foundation, but the texture reminds more of a cream foundation that can be easily applied with a brush or simply blended with the fingers.
Iman Luxury Radiance Liquid Makeup is available in a range of shades varying from medium-dark beige to dark brown. The oil-free formula creates a natural, matte finish, while the natural plant extracts and the vitamins will help regenerate mature skin.
Things We Liked
- Enriched with pigmented minerals: this foundation from Iman has a formula enriched with pigmented minerals which give a natural glow to the skin, making the makeup look as natural as possible.
- Nourishing: an important factor for mature skin, this foundation has good nourishing properties thanks to the natural plant extracts of Magnolia, Acai, and Cottonseed. The vitamin E keeps the elasticity of your skin, reducing fine wrinkles.
- Oil-free formula: designed to combat darker skin problems, the Iman foundation boasts an oil-free formula which gives a beautiful matte finish.
- Cruelty-free: all Iman cosmetics are produced following a cruelty-free policy. This means they are not tested on animals.
Things We Didn't Like
- The foundation seems to not set very well unless fixed with a powder and it might rub off on clothes. It also doesn’t have any SPF factor.
2. Maybelline New York Instant Age Rewind Eraser Treatment Makeup
As the name says, this product promises to erase any age signs, being a foundation designed for women with mature skin. The foundation comes in an innovative packaging with a sponge applicator attached to the bottle, making it easy to apply and blend on your face. The applicator is treated with a special anti-bacterial formula and you just have to wipe it with a dry tissue once you applied the product to keep it clean.
Although it is designed to provide full coverage of skin imperfections, the Maybelline New York Instant Age Rewind Eraser Treatment Makeup offers a light-medium coverage, and some users advised that this foundation seems to be more a tinted moisturizer rather than a proper foundation. However, the product completely covers the redness of the skin and can also be used as a highlighter if you purchase it in a lighter shade compared to your skin tone.
Things We Liked
- Easy to apply: the innovative packaging ensures an easy application of this foundation. All you have to do is turn the collar in the direction indicated until the foundation becomes visible on the sponge, then blend it on the skin. You will not need to use other sponge or brush.
- Long-lasting: this foundation does not fade away or change color throughout the day, leaving a bright and soft finish.
- SPF 18: an important factor for mature skin is the solar protection factor, which prevents your skin getting fine wrinkles after sun exposure.
- Improves skin elasticity: the presence of goji berry extract and collagen in the formula improves mature skin elasticity, leaving a soft skin after use.
Things We Didn't Like
- Greasy formula: although the finish is soft and bright, the greasy formula feels weird when applied. However, this can be expected from a product designed for dry mature skin.
3. Pur Minerals 4-in-1 Pressed Mineral Makeup Foundation with SPF 15
A product designed to be used as concealer, foundation, sunscreen and powder, the Pur Minerals 4-in-1 Pressed Mineral Makeup Foundation with SPF 15 has a smooth texture offering a light-medium coverage and a natural look. The foundation has a matte finishing with a soft glow that makes skin look beautiful. In addition to these characteristics, the formula is gluten-free, paraben-free and vegan-friendly, suitable for all types of mature skin.
Although the manufacturer advertises this product as a 4-in-1 solution, it has excellent results only as foundation and powder. The Pressed Mineral Makeup Foundation does not provide enough coverage to be used with success as a concealer. When it comes to the SPF properties, the product provides an SPF 15 protection, but this can only be achieved if a fair amount of product is applied to the skin. As most women will probably not use such an amount of foundation, it is advisable to use a sun protector cream before applying this foundation.
Things We Liked
- Beautiful finish: although this is a powder foundation, the finish is not powdery at all and the product doesn’t gather inside the wrinkles, giving a flawless result.
- Nice packaging: the packaging of this 4-in-1 foundation is dual sided. On one side is placed the product, on the other side you can find the mirror and a sponge applicator.
- Build-up coverage: this foundation offers light-medium coverage, but if you need a medium-strong coverage you can simply apply more layers of the product without worrying that it will look unnatural.
- Mineral ingredients: this foundation contains natural mineral ingredients such as titanium and zinc and does not contain alcohol, fragrances, harsh chemicals or preservatives.
Things We Didn't Like
- Hard to apply: the compact formula is hard and tricky to apply and blend on the skin. Definitely not a good choice if you are in a hurry.
4. Terry Eclat Opulent Nutri-Lifting Foundation
Boasting an exclusive complex of fourteen anti-ageing ingredients, this foundation from Terry Eclat was designed to cover and improve the imperfections of the mature skin. The foundation offers a natural finish, maintaining the natural glow of the skin for a flawless look. The coverage is light-medium and you will definitely need to use a concealer or corrector to hide any dark circles and skin spots before applying the foundation.
The manufacturer claims that the most advanced anti-ageing ingredients are used in this formula, but the truth is that this foundation has a few silicones, hyaluronic acid, and seed extract but also a bunch of harsh chemicals and parabens. The foundation should instantly fill up wrinkles and it probably does, but you have to consider that this is only an excellent cosmetic, without noticeable skin care properties.
Things We Liked
- Excellent anti-ageing properties: designed to instantly cover any imperfections of the mature skin, this foundation will give you a flawless look with minimum effort.
- Three shades: the Opulent Nutri-Lifting Foundation by Terry Eclat comes in three shades with pink or light amber undertones that are designed to match your skin tone in a way similar to a BB cream.
- Long-lasting: the foundation lasts up to 8 hours without being necessary to retouch the makeup. It maintains a beautiful finish and doesn’t oxidize.
- Easy to apply: the liquid-creamy formula is easy to apply and blend both with a brush/sponge and with your fingers.
Things We Didn't Like
- Pricy: this is one of the most expensive foundations for mature skin available on the market and although the results are great, you can find more affordable products that give a similar finish.
5. Bare Minerals Complexion Rescue Tinted Hydrating Gel Cream
Having a luminous and uniform skin is probably the dream of every woman with mature skin, and this effect can easily be reached with the Bare Minerals Complexion Rescue Tinted Hydrating Gel Cream. This foundation has a gel texture that, once applied to the skin, blends very well in a fluid and evenly way. The finish is very natural, the foundation maintaining the natural glow of the skin. In addition to this, it also has a cooling effect, being suitable to apply during summer.
The coverage is light-medium, but considering that this is more a tinted cream than a proper foundation it covers pretty well the imperfections of the skin, having at the same time moisturizing properties. This foundation also lasts a long time, maintaining an excellent coverage throughout the day.
Things We Liked
- Easy to apply: the gel formula is very easy to apply directly with the fingertips, blending fast and evenly on the skin.
- Excellent sunscreen: with the SPF 30, this tinted gel cream provides enough sun protection on its own, so you will not have to apply a different sunscreen before the foundation.
- Hypoallergenic: the Bare Minerals Complexion Rescue Tinted Hydrating Gel Cream does not contain parabens, fragrances or silicone, being suitable for those with sensitive skin.
- Skin protector: containing natural plant extracts and antioxidants, this foundation protects the skin from environmental factors, giving a smooth finish.
Things We Didn't Like
- It doesn’t cover wrinkles very well, while the somehow watery formula might not seem the most appropriate for mature skin.
Conclusions and Final Pick
The final choice when it comes to purchasing the right foundation for mature skin will be a very personal one, based on skin type, texture preferences and coverage needed. However, in our opinion, the best foundation for mature skin available on the market is the Opulent Nutri-Lifting Foundation by Terry Eclat.
Despite the fact that this foundation does not have outstanding skin care properties, the result that every woman with mature skin wants to achieve is a flawless, wrinkle-less, long lasting look. And this foundation offers exactly this. Wrinkle coverage is almost perfect, the foundation blends well on the skin and the three shades available are designed to match your skin tone oxidizing directly on the skin.
The 14 anti-ageing ingredients complex covers very well age imperfections, and even if you will probably need to use a concealer before the foundation, this is not a major inconvenience. The only thing the manufacturer should improve is the price, but if you want to have a perfect look, this foundation is an excellent choice.